The Race to Resilience is a global campaign run by the COP26 Presidency and High-Level Climate Champions to rally leadership and support from cities, regions, businesses and investors to help frontline communities build resilience and adapt to the impacts of climate change. The Race to Resilience aims to catalyse action by non-state actors to build the resilience of 4 billion people from vulnerable groups and communities to climate risks.
The Cities Race to Resilience is one of the initiatives under the Race to Resilience campaign, focused on driving cities to join and pledge their commitment to the global fight against climate change. The Cities Race to Resilience offers cities themselves the unique opportunity to showcase action and drive ambition, according to their own contextually relevant local landscape.
We invite cities to take this crucial step, be a catalyst for change, and join the Race to Resilience to demonstrate your commitment in being part of the most decisive year in climate action history.
We, as cities, need to go further, faster, and deliver on the goals of the Paris Agreement in full. Working collaboratively, we can win the race to resilience.
Today, we are writing to invite cities to join the Race to Resilience by pledging to do the following:
- Pledge to integrate climate change adaptation and resilience in all aspects of urban planning and undertake a community-wide climate risk and vulnerability assessment that includes all vulnerable communities;
- Plan to use available climate change knowledge and scientific evidence, including data and spatial analysis, for decision-making and action, and outline interim targets and milestones as part of a long-term commitment for citywide climate action;
- Immediately proceed to taking action by committing to at least one of the resilience actions as listed on our join page by COP26; and,
- Report commitments by COP26, and progress annually thereafter, to an existing or recommended reporting platform. If you have not reported before, you will be contacted by partners for support.
Cities have been on the frontlines tackling the impacts of climate change. The Cities Race to Zero will encourage cities to identify risks and take the immediate action that is needed on resilience leading up to COP26 and beyond.
– Gonzalo Munoz, Chile High Level Climate Action Champion